Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Milad un Nabi - a celebration in disguise?

What's wrong in celebrating the Mawlid? Nothing wrong and nothing new unless you realize this is coming from a self titled Salafi. Then everything has to be wrong.

Ofcourse, I dare admit that I would never be a part of any singing & qawwali Milad celebration but thought let me pause and be more honest with myself.

As I was reading the mails from my old school egroups, there were a dozen or so Birthday messages. This coming just a couple of days after the Milad holidays declared across UAE, made me write this article.

It would be difficult writing back at my school buddies, "hey listen guys, b'day celebrations are not allowed in Islam, so please refrain". Besdies missing the point and not talking about offending them, it would be an excersie in vain. What would I gain anyway. A clear conscience? A removel of guilt and having done my "bit" in uprooting this malicious and evil pratcise that the Muslims have inherited from the white westerners! I would rather convey Tawheed than make an attempt to what would rather be an inconsequential email.

But then Muslims should know and that is why we have to get our neck out and blast them with the "threats of innovation". Bi'da is a nice word to scare them and rub the rubbish off your back.

But the irony of this very situation is, on this very day, a supposedly Bi'da celebration day, most of the scholars (and yes, the Ahle-Hadeeth ones too!) climb on the celebration podioums and speak how important the whole life of our Messenger sallahualhiawasalam is, and not only a day.

How on this very day, do we get an opportunity to reach millions of "others", who would otherwise not tune to listen to any of the scholars with "authentic" information.

Isn't it so surprising that just like the emails from my old school egroup, a b'day was just an occasion to pen in few lines and find out where I am - that we use the Milad for this very purpose in our lives. A reminder to tell us about the greatest man to have ever set foot on in world.

Why, strange enough I was invited to deliver a small talk on the Prophet on the Milad at one of the popular radio FM stations and I spoke, days are not important but we have to remember our Prophet the whole life and then began my speech titled, Prophet as a teacher.

How ironical, isn't?

No comments: