Saturday, December 16, 2006

On My Way To HAJJ 2007

Hajj is the season of gathering and aspirations. The flavour of the month is nothing but forgiveness. Foremost isseeking forgiveness from the Rabb and then all those who aspire to take the journey (of lifetime for a lot many), they call and ask for forgiveness for thier past mistakes from the near and dear ones.

As I was listening to a rather ordinary Friday khutbah, sitting in the New Muslim Masjid in Sharjah, the Khatib told an amzing incident. The Khutbah suddenly came up to life and bought tears to my eyes.

He mentioned of Ameer ul-Moimineen Umar bin al-Khattab who said, "I wish to send messengers around the new Islamic lands and command all those who have the wealth and means to perform their compulsory Hajj and havent yet set unto, to pay the JIZYA."

And then the khatib mentioned that HAJJ is the 5th pilalr of Islam. As i heard this, it occured that i almost missed this point and forget that the 5 pillars that we keep repeating and have learnt right from the days of my Ustaab coming home to teach me, I had completely and conviniently forgotton about!

After the khutbah, I compared my situation or a new awakening to the verse recited by Abu Bakr at the time of the death of Rasullalah sallahualhiwassalm, "And Several Messengers has passed before", and most of the SAhabas including Umar, thought they heard it for the first time!

Insha Allaah, it was then that I made a sincere and determined intention to perform HAJJ next season in 2007.

As we progress through that one year, I will post all I know about Hajj and hope to make this blog a record of my efforts to realise my 5th pillar of Islam as well as become a resource and encouragement for all those who wish to undertake this journey of lifetime.

No comments: